How to refresh/redraw gtk-perl window? I have one script that shows
movie listing and when one item is selected via remote, 'system'
invokes mplayer which leaves main gtk window blank after it finishes?
:)

I want to make function which should return file handle:

F = LockFile('/some/file', 0);
.
.
close(F);

######
sub LockFile {
  my($file, $pos) = @_;
  local *DAT;

  open DAT, "+<$file";
  #flock and seek to $pos
  .
  .
  return(*DAT); # or should be return(DAT)?
}

Is this kind of using file handles encouraging?

Is there a way to use 'format' where I could write to scalars instead
to file handles?(usefull when cgi sends mail and shows same content in
the browser)

How to match complex repeating patterns, i.e. I want to match
(\d{6}.*?\t) ten times and read values of the last three?

This is SQL(mySql) question but hopefully there is some simple
solution to it. Table look like:

NAME |   EMAIL
------------------------
dave | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
john | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mary | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I want to extract john's EMAIL using 'john236' as a search string.
Unfortunately RLIKE doesn't work here

SELECT EMAIL from Table WHERE NAME RLIKE 'john236';
and

SELECT EMAIL from Table WHERE 'john236' RLIKE NAME;
is not recognized as a valid sql query. :!

--
Matija