So often your question has the answer :-)....naturally after some more
thought I checked to see if perl had a builtin for chmod, and to little
surprise it did. So I am now using perl's builtin chmod and things are
happy again, however, I am still curious about open's ability to do this
rather than requiring a separate function, so can it?

Anyone hiring?
http://danconia.org