On Friday, July 12, 2002, at 09:24 , Peter wrote:

> is it possible to pass variables from perl to asp...

there are several ways to pass 'stuff' around -

        a) simple numerical style by testing for the exit value
                traditionally the shell exits with 0 if all is ok
                non-zero if something happened

        b) parse the output of the command one called

        c) get way harry and have the child process re-attach
                to the parent process on a specified port.... and
                        exchange messages...

        d) write your perl as a CGI piece of code - that you
                would invoke with something like

                http://vbs-wsh-iis-
dictionary.pstruh.cz/tips/detpg_a-remote-asp-application-access.htm

> from my asp page (running on unix/apache), id like to call a perl script
> (module maybe?)

think of module as you would of a 'library' - or a 'class definition'
as they are variations on the basic idea of 'how to put a stack of
functions somewhere' - hence you will want to call a 'perl script'
that may or may not use one or more module.

> and have the script return back something to the asp page, much like a
> function.
> is that possible???

If you can get your asp page to execute any external piece
of code and read what happened then it is just that simple.

hence if your perl code could execute the unix command

        date

and get the string back in a way you could use, then you
can just as easily call a piece of perl to return you
information......

> and i would like to do this without any redirections (ie...redirect from
> the
> perl to my asp page using GET url)

on the asp specific side you will of course want to check with
resources like:

        http://www.aspin.com/

on the implementation details about how asp can invoke
external code.....

solve that part and you are ready to deal with the

        "so, ok, how do I get this perl code I am
                working on to do......"

ciao
drieux

---