Dave,

   I did it this way

   $variable = substr($orig_variable,0,length($orig_variable)-2);

   I actually only removed the last 2 characters but I don't see why you
could not put a 4 and remove last four..

   I am sort of new at perl but I did get the above to work.  I needed
to drop off 2 number off of a directory for a scritp I was writing..

and I used it like this:

$new_variable = substr($directory,0,length($directory)-2);

I hope this helps.

chad