First check the FAQ, as it addresses this question:

   perldoc -q password

> The systems I'm using are Win32,

My condolences. But there is a nice Win32::Console module.

> and I'd rather not have to use any CPAN modules

I think you're going to have to, unless you plan to reinvent
the wheel and write your own module.

> - I've been looking into tied filehandles, but can't
> work out what's
> required in the subroutines.

I don't think that will help you. The echoing is happening
upstream of Perl's filehandles.