Looks to me like you understand it better than I did.  I don't understand
your question.

                        /\/\ark

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Sprankle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 10:44 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: more regex woes...

Hi all,
I am brand new to perl, and programming at that. I'm learning alot from
Robert's Perl Tutorial and I was hoping someone culd possibly clear up the
following from the tutorial:

$_='My email address is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.';
print "Match 1 worked :$1:" if /(<*)/i;

$_='<My email address is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.';
print "Match 2 worked :$1:" if /(<*)/i;

$_='My email address is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<<<<>.';
print "Match 3 worked :$1:" if /(<*>)/i;

Match 1 is true. It doesn't return anything, but it is true
because there are 0 < at the very
start of the string.
Match 2 works. After the 0 < at the start of the string, there is 1 < so the
regex can match that too.
Match 3 works. After the failing on the first < , it jumps to the second.
After that, there are plenty more to match right up until the required
ending.
I've been doing fine so far but I just can't seem to completly grasp this
part.

thanx, joe