On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:43:43 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott
Barnett) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to Perl just over a month now. I have tried other  programming languages and
>they just seem to hard to understand. I have found Perl to be a lot easier to
>understand, and that brings me to my question. What is a good Perl Editor for writing
>scripts? I am currently using Crimson Editor.

Although nedit is probably your best bet, I like to use "mcedit", the
built-in editor of mc , Midnight Commander.

It's advantages?
1. You don't need to be in X.
2. It has pretty good syntax highlighting for Perl,
   it makes finding matching brackets pretty easy.
   Just highlight 1 bracket, and it's match appears
    bright yellow.
3. As soon as you finish editing, a quick escape and
   enter, runs the script.
4. If in X, you can have multiple mc windows open
    in different xterms, and copying and pasting with
    the mouse is easy.
5. mc has a built-in hex veiwer and editor, which comes
   in handy. It also has handy menus for chmod,chown,
   etc.
6. mc is available on almost all systems. If you are working on
   a remote host, and can't export X, mc will still run over the
   link, since it's curses based. This is very handy. I've even
   uploaded the mc binary to a machine that didn't have it
   installed, and it ran out of my ~/bin. Try that with nedit.

Anyhoo, I vote mc for best editor to rely on.  :-)