Thanks Drieux,

You put me on the right track.  Working through your suggestion made me
realize I also needed a sleep between seeing the prompt and sending the
data (something also required in the Expect script but inconveniently
forgotten <g>).  I've been able to successfully connect multiple
concurrent times now.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

Joe