> Looks like you got an incomplete download.
>Try re-dl-ing it.

I think it wouldn't have gunzipped in the first place if the file was incomplete.
gzip -t ActivePerl-5.6.1.633-sun4-solaris.tar.gz   returns success.

But just to be on the safe side, I repeated the download/unzip process 3 times..with
the same results.

It must be something with the tar file.

If you have the latest WINZIP exe that extracts tar file....you will see that it gives
some error
while unzipping the file ActivePerl-5.6.1.633-sun4-solaris.tar.gz