I am such a knuckle head... I read the lists. I stumble through books and still I cant
figure out how to do something that I would think should be relativly simple.

I am attempting to extract a two words or fields from every line of a tab delimited
file. Sometimes the words that I need are in fields 1 & 2 and other time they are in 2
& 3. The lines look something like this:

TypeOfApp    ApplicationName     RunStatus

application     run_me_now      complete                          <- Need 2 & 3
application2   ran_me_yesterday     complete/errors          <- Need 2 & 3
need_to_run_tomorrow     failed                                       <- Need 1 & 2

I am in need of just extracting the ApplicationName and RunStatus from the lines and
placing them in variables so that I can do things with them.

I think I'm smart enought to know how to get the file opened and get the lines into a
while loop like so:

open (FILE, ./datafile);

while (<FILE>) {
do something really smart here
}

But its just the "do something really smart here" thats got me baffled... (Grin)

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Jessica