At 05:47 PM 8/21/02 +0800, Connie Chan wrote:
>I am working on a Win32 system, what now I am to do is checking and
>blocking spams on my mail server. Recently, I use a software mail server
>to receving mails, but, there is not filter features. What my approach is to
>write my own mail server. So can block address, or matched content pattern
>immediately. But what my first step is ... how to listening to my SMTP port ?
>Would anybody can point me to somewhere to getting start ?

The Win32 system is the one receiving the inbound SMTP connections
containing your mail?  That is not the platform I would choose for doing that.

You will have a heck of an easier time doing what you want on a Unix
system if you can get the mail directed there.  You will be able to use
standard daemonizing and connection forking code.

As pointed out, this is an extremely ambitious project nonetheless.  If
you make a good enough start at it, you might get other people
interested in helping if you go about it the right way.

If you've never written a server, or never used sockets, or don't know
what "fork" or "daemon" mean, I suggest you are taking on more than you
can handle.  I know those things and I would still not attempt this
task.  Instead, I have a .forward on the (Unix) machine that receives
my mail that runs it through a small script I wrote using Mail::Audit
and SpamAssassin that dumps some messages and tags others.  I would of
course rather the spam was rejected at connection time but it is not to be.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies