On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 02:51 , Avi Nehori wrote:
[..]
> when executing the main.pl
> i get the error message:
>
> Can't load module Data::Dumper, dynamic loading not available in this
> perl.
>   (You may need to build a new perl executable which either supports
>   dynamic loading or has the Data::Dumper module statically linked into
> it.)
>  at file.pl line 2
> Compilation failed in require at file.pl line 2.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at file.pl line 2.
>
> any idea?

I rather think that you have some sort of version skew here
that has little to do with the Safe.pm issues - so let's try
to solve that first. check to see if the version of perl
you are calling internal to your script is the same as
the version that you want.... eg:

        which perl

        whereis perl

and resolve if they are one and the same. In the case of
solaris - from solaris8 onward they deliver a version that
is either a reference to /usr/perl5/bin/perl or get there
by various means.

So you can check your version of perl(s) with the "-V"
flag and see if they have the

          Dynamic Linking:
         dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-R   /usr/perl5/
5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE'
     cccdlflags='-KPIC', lddlflags='-G'

that is appropriate for your OS - many sysAdmins do not build
them for dynamic loading - and that is OK IF all of the perl
modules that you can find in the @INC are also built to the
same thesis.... namely that they will all be build as 'static-ish'.

so you may want to start down the simpler pipe of testing if you
can write a simple script that uses just Data::Dumper to do the
simplest of tricks like

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        use strict;

        user Data::Dumper

        my $me = {
                var1 => 'v1',
                var2 => 'v2'
        };

        print Dumper $me ;

this should generate output of the form:

        $VAR1 = {
                          'var1' => 'v1',
                          'var2' => 'v2'
                        };

if you still get the Data::Dumper error case - then you
will definitely need to run to ground which versions of
perl are really suppose to have access to which @INC sections...

ciao
drieux

---