in line 64, you have:
> my %counties = ( #-- line 64

in line 543, you have:
> if ( ! {$counties}) { #-- line 543

in line 64, you declare a %counties hash variable.
in line 543,  you are trying to access the $counties scalar variable which
do not exist.

remember in Perl that %counties and $counties are completely different
thing. one is hash and the other is a scalar. the funny character makes
them totally different stuff.

in your case, you probably don't need to:

if( ! {$counties}) { #-- what is that do anyway???

just remove that line then your script should work(assume that this is the
only error you have in your script).

david