The Perl Black Book is the best book I've seen so far (I've been working
with Perl for about 2 years).

<opinion>
I had a lot of trouble with Learning Perl, in fact I never managed to learn
much from it!  I felt like the book assumed too high a level of
understanding of Perl to be useful to a real novice (I had programmed
JavaScript, and that was it at that point).

And Programming Perl is great if you want to know about the philosophy and
culture of Perl... </opinion>

But if you are a novice and want to get started fast, then the Black Book is
for you.  Also there is enough information in Black Book that it will remain
useful to you long past the novice stage.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576104656/hotscrcomyourgui/002-58285