ok, how about this:

user opens a webpage, the module checks where a cookie is set in the client
browser, if yes then check the cookie id against a mysql database. id the
cookis is valid then return an array like:

qw/valid, cookieid/

or if its invalid then:

qw/invalid, remoteip/

alsom, how do include a seperate function for after that check that will do
something like lookup the username in the mysq; record that matches the
cookie id.