Actually, I do believe that the results are as good as possible, for any
distribution of numbers. 8-) consider that the first pass creates the
best possible approximation available by pairing the min and max. The
second pass merges the remaining values into the approximations, by
processing both the approximations and remaining numbers in sorted order
- ergo, it will produce the best possible result, irrespective of the
distribution of numbers.

Regards
Jeff