Chad Kellerman wrote:

> I tried doing the same thing but my supervisor got mad.  We aren't
> allowed to use any type of system call in our scripts.  If the system
> call is in a perl module it's one thing but not in our code.
>
> system or exec anything that executes from /bin/sh
>
> even though it is so much nicer to do that, especially using find..

i actually agree with your supervisor. i didn't code the share memory
project that i mention in the previous reply. i am one of those that really
trying hard to avoid any sort of system(), exec(), ``... etc in Perl code.
i am trying to convince the other developers not to use those as well. i
won't got in a debate of the pros and cons of using those. personally, i
think they are not portable, unreliable and unsafe.

david