Lo,

I apologize if this request is less than coherent.

I'm running Win XP Pro using Perl 5.6.1.  I'd like to do this:

open (ACCESSDB, "| C:\\Documents\ and\ Settings\\Doug\
Cacialli\\Desktop\\TEST
DATABASE.mdb")
        or die "Something is amiss: $! \n";

Which starts Access, and requires the user to enter a password, which I
would do:

print ACCESSDB "password\n";
close (ACCESSDB);

At which point Access would open up the database, and I could go on to live
my
happy life, frolicking around, doing cartwheels, whatnot.

The problem seems to be that when Perl gets to that initial open function,
it hangs
because it can't really open the database (which is really what I'm asking
it to do
there) without the password.  It never gets to the print.  And of course,
there's no
frolicking or cartwheels.

Does anyone know how I can get around this? Is there someway to use the
open function without having Perl wait and see what happens?  Does anyone
know of a better way to do this?  Any help would be great!

Doug out.
Douglas Cacialli - Data Manager / Data Analyst
Sleep and Depression Research Laboratory
University of Rochester Medical Center
300 Crittenden Blvd. - Box PSYCH
Rochester, New York 14642
Phone: (585)273-3309          Fax: (585)506-0287
****   NOTE NEW FAX NUMBER   ****