Not an expert in perl (nor in english), but let's try ;-)
if your output file is not supposed to get too big,
consider 'writing' first your output lines in a hash
... $hash{1} = "line 1"; and so on
(later, writing line 10 for eg.)
if (whatever)
{
  $hash{5} .= " these few words";
}
when finished, drop all the lines in the hash
to output file
... foreach (sort(keys(%hash))
{
  print OUTPUTFILE $hash{$_}, "\n";