On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:16:52PM -0700, nkuipers wrote:
> When I first saw this, I worked out the assignment where $a and $b each
> get a 7 and the third 7 is discarded, then $x gets the last value in the
> list of $a and $b because of the comma operator for list literals in a
> scalar context...or does the presence of vars in the list mean that this
> isn't a list literal, more like an array in behavior?

You go into a sort of ramble here, but I think this is where your confusion
lies.  You're trying to equate list assignment with either how an array
behaves, or how a list behaves.  List assignment is neither an array nor a
list, it's a list assignment, so it behaves differently in different
contexts.

> So really, I guess I don't understand either side of the assignment and
> how it behaves in scalar context due to $x. :) So I guess this could end
> up being something I just memorize, but I'd rather understand what's
> happening...

Well, it's both; this is something you'll have to memorize, and with that,
understand what's happening when a list assignment is encountered.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net
Programmer, System Administrator   www.gallanttech.com