On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 05:15  PM, david wrote:

> just curious:
> if you want child's functionality, why wouldn't you want to have the
> child
> object in the first place?

Glad, you asked; I would love a second opinion!  My server manages
vanilla Telnet connections with a Connection object.  All the Telnet
protocol stuff is in an easily replaced method though, for subclassing.
  I want to keep it so Telnet is always supported, and thus the default
connection type.  But connections can be upgraded to a higher protocol,
if they ask for it.  That's why I thought it would be cool to just
upgrade the object reference when the request comes in.  Tell me if you
see chinks in that suit of armor though, I'm all ears.

James