Howdy:

I don't want to fill this message with all three modules of my code, so
I'll try some general questions to see if I can get the help I need.

Okay, I'm basically building a Multiplexed Non-Blocking IO Telnet
Server.  Earlier today I was having bug trouble, so I threw in a few
extra print statements to track it down.  I did and it not "behaves" as
expected.  The weird part is, while proving this good behavior, my
print statements would show an error here and there, so I've left them
in and done quite a bit of playing, to see if I can figure out what's
going on.

Here's what I know.  The first person can log in and do stuff just
fine.  Once there is a disconnect though. a "Bad File Descriptor" error
shows up in the $! variable, which is printed right after my call to
select() if it's filled.  Now this "error" stays, until another person
logs in, at which point it vanishes, to return when another user logs
out.  Rinse, repeat.  The thing to stress again though, is that it IS
working as I expect it to.  Before, with the bug, I would see this
error, but it wasn't working as expected then.

I realize I could probably leave this alone, since my program is
working, but if it's the root of a deeper problem I don't see or
whatever, I want to know what's going on.  Heck, even if it's trivial,
I want to know.

So, here's my main question.  What's the best way to to track down the
line that is setting the $! variable?  I can't quite figure out the
rules of this guy.  Once it's set, what clears it?  Its it localized to
subroutines or packages or anything?  I mean, if I'm printing this
error out in once place, could it be happening in a far off chunk of
code?  (I don't believe it's the select() complaining, but I'm not
totally sure.)  I've tried to use 'b CONDITION' in the debugger to
track it down, but I can't figure out how to write the CONDITION.  It
always thinks I mean a subroutine.  Any help here?  Basically, any and
all tips on the $! variable are needed.

Thanks for your time and help.

James