While it may be faster under some circumstances I would not say it's
more powerfull. The number of modules for Perl is definitely much
bigger than for PHP. Plus PHP is only supposed to be used from Web,
while Perl is a general purpose language. Actually I do not remember
when was the last time I did use it for web.
Actually alot of effort has been applied recently to making PHP a general purpose scripting language. It now installs a cli out-of-the-box (that doesn't stick HTTP response headers at the top of every output) and the php-gtk stuff is making alot of progress.

I'd weigh in on Perl being more powerful, having a larger library set, and having much cleaner namespace semantics. But PHP is a much less mature language than Perl, and it is coming into it's own.

// George Schlossnagle
// Principal Consultant
// OmniTI, Inc http://www.omniti.com
// (c) 240.460.5234 (e) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
// 1024D/1100A5A0 1370 F70A 9365 96C9 2F5E 56C2 B2B9 262F 1100 A5A0