Dear Gurus :-))
           I have the below scenario and very keenly on the look-out for
efficient solutions. Please do put down your expert views (I am pretty new
to Perl and Windows internals).

* I submit jobs(basically proprietary language files) with a command, let's
say "resub".
* The "resub" command puts the jobs in a queue along with the user id. of
who has submitted. Basically, the jobs run in a remote machine(from a pool
of machines) which have higher memory capacity and speed.
* I see the status of the jobs with another command called "bqview", which
tells me whether the job is pending or running. When the job is complete, a
log file is put out into a specific directory in the form of <job_name>.log
* What I do is, after doing a "bqview",if I don't see the job in the queue
then I know the job has completed running and then I check the
<job_name>.log file, manually

So to know whether a job is completed or not, I constantly need to keep
using the "bqview" command and see what the job status.

What I propose to do ?
  Automate the process of checking the queue and e-mail the specific user
once the job is completed. Can this be possible without me calling the
"bqview" external program in constant time interval within the Perl script
?? Can something like a service/daemon be done to capture the job I submit
under Windows '98  and then do a network connection to see a group of remote
machines of what is happening to the user jobs ??

 The remote machines,"resub" and "bqview" commands are no way under my
control.

Any help or directions will be very highly appreciated :-))))

Thanks for your infinite patience,
Regards,
Praveen

IMPORTANT-
(1) The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential and
intended only for the individual or entity named above. Any unauthorised
use of the contents is expressly prohibited.  If you receive this email
in error, please contact us, then delete the email.
(2) ACNielsen collects personal information to provide and market our
services. For more information about use, disclosure and access see our
privacy policy at <www.acnielsen.com.au> or contact us on
[EMAIL PROTECTED]