On Oct 17, Mandar Rahurkar said:

>Hi,
>  I am trying to write a regular expresssion which reads as :
>from the list of following files generate a list which does not start
>with 150d in the beginning:

>@new= grep {/[^{no}]/} @list;

First, you've got a character class [^...].  You don't want that.

Second, you've got {no}, when you want $no.

Third, you need the opposite of the regex (so use ! /.../).

  @new = grep { ! /^$no/ } @list;

You might want to put a \Q before $no, to ensure that any regex characters
in $no are seen as normal characters.

  @new = grep !/^\Q$no/, @list;

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/