i've tried that and got no joy
it's because the $string is a system command!

my $string = system("date '+%b'");
$string = uc $string;

Jonathan Musto

BT Ignite Solutions
Telephone - 0113 237 3277
Fax - 0113 244 1413
E-mail - [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:Jonathan.Musto@;bt.com>
http://www.technet.bt.com/sit/public

British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no. 1800000
This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications
plc which may be privileged or  confidential. The information is intended to
be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you  are not
the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of  this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify us by  telephone or
email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.