beaut!  thanks.

David.  8-)

Jean Padilla wrote:

Hi,
the second line is simply declaring two variables:
1 - the scalar $itemtype
2 - the hash %symbol
just another way to say
my $itemtype;
my %symbol;
no magic here, *NOT* a list or data structure.
A+

David Buddrige a écrit :

Hi all,

I am reading through a collegue's perl script.  In it he has the
following lines:

sub SomeSubName
{
       my ($vara, $varb, $varc, @items) = @_;
       my ($itemtype, %symbol);

The first line I understand; here you are getting the parameters to the
subroutine (which are stored in @_), and putting them into particular
variable names - $vara, $varb, and so on.

The second line however, I am not clear what it is doing.

It seems to be creating an in-line list, but firstly, that list is not
assigned to anything, and secondly he is storing a hash into the list
(presumably it must be a reference to a hash, since you cannot actually
store a hash into a data structure such as a list or an array without
using refernces...

Could anyone see what possible value could be had in creating the list:

       my ($itemtype, %symbol);

Is this assigned to some default name?

thanks heaps

David Buddrige.