Thank you. I decided to recompile perl, which seemed to work well.
The big problem I am having is getting the GD.pm module to work because it
needs shared libraries which I am having trouble installing.

Have you had any luck installing libgd, zlib or the GD perl module?
I guess if you're using something other than OSX your situation would be different.

p.s.

I am running the standard unix version of perl, not macperl.

todd shifflett said:
I just re-installed perl 5.8.0 on my mac.  When I did the new version
was placed into /opt/bin where I do not want it so I moved all the
files and man pages to where they should be.  Now How do I change the
@INC array?
You don't.  Your options are:

  - recompile perl
  - mess with PERL5LIB
  - put in symlinks
  - add use lib all over the place
  - binary edit your perl executable (careful!)
  - maybe something macperl specific - I don't know

The first is probably the best choice if it's possible.

I would also like to know how to change the other information listed
with 'perl -V'
Change the options to Configure when you recompile.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net