On Tuesday 05 Nov 2002 5:01 pm, Scott, Joshua wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to use the Mail::Sendmail module in a script where I need a
> independent mailer.  The problem I'm having is including more than one line
> of text in the message body.  I'm not really sure how to do this.  The
> package uses a $mail{message} = "blah" var for the message body.  Is it
> possible to get more than one line into that hash value?
>
> Basically I've got a script that generates a bunch of information and
> outputs it to a file.  What I would like to do is make the contents of this
> file, the body of my message.  I don't want it as an attachment.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Joshua,

If you simply wanted to create a multi-line message body as a string then you
could do something like:

$mail{message}="line1\nline2\nline3\n....";
or
$mail{message}=qq{line1
line2
line3
};

If you want to use the contents of a file as the body, use something like.

$oldsep=$/; $/=undef; disable line seperation
open(FIN,"<myfile>")||die "cannot open file: $!\n";
$mail{message}=<FIN>;
close(FIN);
$/=$oldsep;

It disables the record seperator (newline) then reads the whole file into the
hash entry.

--
Gary Stainburn