On 11/5/02 12:47 PM, "Sharon M. Tuttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have two related questions; for the first time, I have the opportunity
> to teach a 1-unit 5-week course on Perl in the Spring 2003 semester.
>
> 1. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions for their favorite
> beginning-Perl textbook?
>
> I really like "Learning Perl", 2nd Edition, by Schwartz and
> Christiansen, but I have had it several years and I wonder
> if it is "out of date" with regard to what is being commonly
> used now (in terms of Perl versions).

I learned Perl from the 3d edition, and I found it to be an excellent book.
Very straightforward and clearly written, with enough jokes and humorous
asides so that you stay interested but not so many that they wear you out.

I did have some programming background, though, so I can't vouch for how
well absolute compsci novices would fare with it.

 - geoff