>From the MySQL docs:

If you delete the row containing the maximum value for an AUTO_INCREMENT column, the
value will be reused with an ISAM, or BDB table but not with a MyISAM or InnoDB table.
If you delete all rows in the table with DELETE FROM table_name (without a WHERE) in
AUTOCOMMIT mode, the sequence starts over for all table types.

So this will depend on your table type and how you do your deletes.

http://danconia.org