One additional thing:

The data exists in an array, where each line of raw data is a scalar string
within the array.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cacialli, Doug
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 6:18 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Array problem, I think

Y'all,

I'm new to programming in perl, and relatively new to programming at all, so
I apologize if this is a little hard to follow.

I've got oodles of data.  It looks like this:

0 @F1@ FAM
1 HUSB @I13@
1 WIFE @I14@
1 CHIL @I8@
0 @F2@ FAM
1 HUSB @I10@
1 WIFE @I8@
1 CHIL @I11@
1 CHIL @I12@
etc.

The first numeric portion (either 0 or 1) is irrelevant, the second portion
either a family number (@F1@, @F2@, etc.) OR relationship (HUSB, WIFE, or
CHIL), and the third portion is an ID number (@I13@, @I14@, @I8@, etc.).

What I need to do is create a series of unnamed arrays and reference them
hash elements.  In other words, I need to do the equivalent to this:

$individuals{"F1"}[0] = "I13";
$individuals{"F1"}[1] = "I14";
$individuals{"F1")[2] = "I8";
$individuals{"F2")[0] = "I10";
$individuals{"F2")[1] = "I8";
$individuals{"F2")[2] = "I11";
$individuals{"F2")[3] = "I12";

I'm familiar with substr, split, m//, s///, etc.; I'm just not sure how to
programmatically create the data structure.  Any help or suggestions to
point me in a direction would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Regards,

Doug Cacialli

Douglas Cacialli - Data Manager / Data Analyst
Sleep and Depression Research Laboratory
University of Rochester Medical Center
300 Crittenden Blvd. - Box PSYCH
Rochester, New York 14642
Phone: (585)273-3309          Fax: (585)506-0287
****   NOTE NEW FAX NUMBER   ****