Hi Thomas

File editing is particularly easy in perl.
Herez some sample code to get you started :

------------------------------

@ARGV='C:\Documents and Settings\athind\Desktop\test\File2Edit.txt'; # path
to the file you want to edit

$^I=".bak";              # this will be appended to the original filename
and will act as BackUp.

while (<>)
{
        s/!//;           # will replace ! with nothing i.e. all instances of
! will be removed.
        s/SUB-TOTAL://;  # same as above for SUB-TOTAL:
        print;           # writes the new file line by line

Try this on the file you want to edit.
Anything else you want to edit\replace can be done by the
s/what2replace/bywhat2replace/;

-aman