I'm writing a monitoring system (Yes, still...  Finally got the go-ahead
to do this) and my design calls for a central "Smart" Daemon that spawns
and monitors the lesser Daemons that do the actual monitoring.  My
problem is that I'm not sure how to go about this.

>From what I understand, fork actually creates a duplicate (clone) of the
current program and runs it.  Based on the pid, you can determine if
you're the parent or the child.  I may be able to use this, but it won't
allow me to spawn the seperate processes that need to run.

System spawns the process but blocks and waits for a return?  Great, but
I need to spawn, get the pid, and monitor on my own and not via a system
call...

Exec spawns and runs this new program, forgetting the old one...  In
essence, the old one ceases to run ...  (I think ... feel free to
correct me)

I can't see to figure out how to spawn a new process, return the pid,
and be able to monitor this new process on my own ...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Jason H. Frisvold