Mike wrote:

> I'm getting confused - I have the following script
>
> open(DESK,"gtkdoclist") or die "cant open";
> @desk1=<DESK>;
> foreach $desk1 (@desk1){
> chomp $desk1;
> print "$desk1\n";
> $gtkdoc1=system("grep -h gtk_doc_min_version= $desk1");
> chomp $desk1;
> print "$gtkdoc1";
>
> however the output is this
> (notice the zeros at the start of line)
> atk/configure.in
> gtk_doc_min_version=0.6
> 0atk/configure
> gtk_doc_min_version=0.6
> 0at-spi/configure.in
> gtk_doc_min_version=0.6
> 0at-spi/configure
> gtk_doc_min_version=0.6
> 0bonobo-activation/configure.in
> gtk_doc_min_version=0.6
>
> the source file looks like this
>
> atk/configure.in
> atk/configure
> at-spi/configure.in
> at-spi/configure
> bonobo-activation/configure.in
> bonobo-activation/configure
>
> As you can see there are extraneous returns and zeros - anyone any idea
> where they are coming from?

Yes, system() returns the exit code of the command you are running.  You
are assigning this to a variable and then printing it out.

my $file = 'gtkdoclist';
open DESK, $file or die "Cannot open $file: $!";
while ( my $desk = <DESK> ) {
    chomp $desk;
    print "$desk\n";
    if ( open GTKDOC, $desk ) {
        print grep /gtk_doc_min_version=/, <GTKDOC>;

John
--
use Perl;
program