Does this look correct below. I know that I should test but due to the
environment that this program lives it is difficult track down problems.
It is a trigger off of a db. Can anyone take a few seconds to provide
feedback. Is there a betterway? The problem that I am trying to solve
here is a slow connection or a server down. I am using LWP and set the
timeout feature but it never really seemed to catch the situation.

Any feedback is welcome.

        eval {
              local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "timeout\n" };
              alarm (60);   # 60 sec. timeout

              # XML POST stuff here
        }

        alarm (0);
        if ($@ =~ /timeout/) {
            print STDERR "$date_time XML POST timed out\n\n";
            exit;
        }

Jeff