Joe,

>From one Perl newbie to another, buy "Mastering Regular Expressions" by
Friedl.  It's an O'reilly book.  It is vey well written, and readable, I've
actually enjoyed reading it (believe it or not)!  It really helps take the
mystery out of regexes.  Try it out

brian

i guess i have to learn my way around regular expressions now.  i've managed
to go this long without studying them because i find them to be cryptic (to
say the least).  at least this one is fairly simple, and by deconstructing
it
piece by piece, i can even understand how it works.

joe