On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 12:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Are backticks bad, and if so what are the alternatives if I need to
> return information to a variable?

They're not as "cross platform" as using pure Perl, but that's not
always possible (or at least easy) so sometimes it's "better" to use the
backticks.

A similar approach I would suggest is to try a pipe. It's very slick -
it'll scale well if the command were going to return many values.

#Syntax not checked...

open (FILEHANDLE, "ph email = [EMAIL PROTECTED] return name |")
  or die "couldn't fork" ;
while (<FILEHANDLE>) {
  do commands here;
}