Just like that.  Thanks for demystifying that for me.

|         |           "George          |
|         |           Schlossnagle"    |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           12/04/2002 03:50 |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                          |
  |       cc:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: cc and bcc in Net::SMTP

the Net::SMTP methods implement the SMTP protocol.  Net::SMTP::to (and
cc and bcc) simply set the data to be passed as a RCPT TO: command.
This set's the envelope recipient on a mail, which is how your mta (and
others) know who the mail is going to.

cc: and bcc: (and things like Date: Message-ID: Subject:. etc.) are
body headers.  They appear in the body of the mail but are not used for
routing information.  So these should be done like:

$smtp = Net::SMTP->new('mailhost');
$smtp->mail('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');  # set's the envelope from address
via the MAIL FROM:  protocol directive
$smtp->to('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]');  #
sets the envelope recipient for routing purposes via RCPT TO: directive
$data =