Yes, Rob, you are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, I still lack confidence in my coding abilities, so when something doesn't work, I seem to assume I just don't know how to do it properly. In reality, I just made a dumb mistake, which is partially where this lack of confidence comes from. :)

What I did was closer to this:

my $i = 0;
while (EXPR) {
$hash{KEY}{$i} = $something;
$i++;
# ok, so now let's test that I did this correctly
print $hash{KEY}{$i};
}

As you can see, silly me put my print statement AFTER I incremented the variable, so of course that key was undefined. Geez.
Precisely why I'm still on the "beginners" list. :)

Thanks James and Rob for helping me find that my error was not in syntax.

-I

Rob Dixon wrote:

Quite. What you've written looks fine Ian. But you've probably shown us what
you /meant/ rather than what you've actually coded :-}

Cheers,

Rob