Check the length of second, minute and hour.
If the length == 1 then add a leading zero eg. $sec = "0" . $sec
Maybe there is some other "magical" way of doing this, if there is i'm not
aware of it :)

> 2) Hoping tbis isn't some glaring mistake and I'm too blind to see it.
>    Notice how the month is off by 1

perldoc -f localtime
Basically it says that:   0 = January and 11 = December
So just increment $month ie. $month++