"R. Joseph Newton" wrote:

> I'd say skip the sladhes in your join statement.  They shouldn't be necessary.
>  If you wish to quote the elements you could try :
>     $env_final[$i] = join ("\", \"", $fields[1], $fields[2], @temp_str - 1);

No need for the backslashes, just use single quotes.  :-)

      join '", "', ...

> The important distinction between split and join is that split uses a pattern
> /$1/, while join uses a string "$1" as their first parameter.  Its just another
> of those annoying little quirks of the language.

While restricting split to just strings might be useful it would not be
nearly as useful as using regular expressions.  On the other hand, how
would you join on / +/?  Is that one space, ten spaces or a thousand
spaces?  If you join using /\w/ which of the 63 letters numbers and
underscore characters (more if "use locale" is in effect) should join
use?

John
--
use Perl;