No, not true. This will return a set of rows in one statement:

   my $aref = $dbh->selectall_arrayref("select * from foo where bar='baz'");

>     Are there any simpler interfaces to oracle

Use DBI. If you had been using DBI all along, your port to Oracle would be
much easier.

Consider also Class::DBI. See:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/11/27/classdbi.html>