I'm not a network admin now. Currently I use Perl for things like:

Preprocessing and archiving log files, searching for errors and
unexpected messages them and mailing the result to me for review.

Indexing the files on the production, QA and development servers and
generating ZIPs with the files that need to be updated.

And of course lots of development related tools like generating
multilanguage pages, automatic uploading of translations, code
generation and such. And for some parts of the system we develop.

When I was an admin I had scripts for:

Creation of users (in WinNT, Unix and MSSQL, creation of directories,
setting up permissions, copying initial content and so forth)

Automatic download and update of data in some programs.

Copying data between those programs databases and our own Oracle.

And a lot small tools like for example one that changed the page size
in all Word documents from US Letter to A4 (you would not believe how
hard is it to explain the users we really do NOT have US Letter
printers. ;-)

Jenda
===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery