> I've seen many discussions regarding the use of "use strict".
>
> What i wonder is why is it so bad using global variables?
>
> And another question how do you define constants in perl?

use strict does not disallow global variables, it simply enforced you to
declare variables with one of my,local, our. there is a article called
"coping with scoping" you might want to read. I don't have the URl handy,
but a google search will find it.

for constants there are a few ways, one is using the constant pragma:
use constant BUFFER_SIZE    => 4096;