At the end of a lib file ( in the script you have require lib.lib; and lib.lib doesn't
have #!/usr/bin/perl because it's a library not a script ) you put a 1; so that the
require statement returns true. I believe it's a boolean thing.

So if it does a require and can't do it ( ie gets 0 returned instead of the 1 that we
return put at the end with 1; ) then it gives you an error and quits so that the
script doesn't do anything stupid since it doesn't have everything it's supposed to
have to run.

It's at the end also so that it gets returned only after everything else in the lib
works out ok.

I believe it it the same as return 1;

I don't see require used much anymore because most everybody uses modules but you
could also use it in routines that are in the same script if you wantsed to do a
boolean check on something.

I could be bit off, if I am please let me know.

Thanks

Dan