On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 11:43  AM, Ken Lehman wrote:

How do I test a variable to see what type of variable it is(scalar, array,
hash, etc...)?
What I am trying to accomplish is I have a hash and some values are scalar
data and some values are nested hashes and
I need a way to tell the difference.
You don't actually have nested hashes, you have hashes whose values are references to more hashes. Perhaps you can test to see if the value for a particular key is a reference? If not, it is "just" a regular scalar value.

Take care,
Chris