> my %all_keys = ();
>
> foreach my $key (keys %hash1) {
>   $all_keys{$key} = 1;
> }
>
> foreach my $key (keys %hash2) {
>   $all_keys{$key} = 1;
> }

Hi pam,

It strikes me that you are throwing away information here.  Even if that information
is not needed in the immediate context, it is not a good habit to develop.  At the
taime that you are loading %all_keys, you know which hash is the source.  It seems to
me that %all_keys should retain this information.

foreach my $key (keys %hash1) {
  $all_keys{$key} = 1;
}

foreach my $key (keys %hash2) {
  $all_keys{$key} = 2;
}

If all you need to know is that there is a value for the key, this will still respond
properly to:
if ($all_keys{$key}) {...}
but still leaves you the option of tracing back to the source of the information.

Joseph