Hey, I posted a while ago on a thread marked "More regex reguired!", the
solution gave there did part of the job I asked. I need something more out
of that regex though..

1) this.is.a.string.to.match.with
2) this.is.another.string.to.match.with
3) this.is.a.totally.with.different.string

What I want to be able to do, along with what's already been said, is to do
a search for *.with and it return only strings 1 and 2 (since they end in
.with). String 3 contains with, but at the moment, this code returns that
one as well.

I have this:

    $mask =~ s/\*//g;
    foreach $key (keys %online) {
        if ($spewcount == 50) { # is there more than 50 results?
            # yes!
            $ended = 1;
            last;
        } elsif ($online{$key}->{host} =~ /$mask/) {
            # no!
            print "User with matching host: $key
($key!$online{$key}->{ident}\@$online{$key}->{host}\n";
            $spewcount++;

What's the alternative solution so a search of *.with returns only strings 1
& 2?

Secondly, threads now, I have a thread running beside my program which runs
a timeout sub every second, and checks to see if a variable has a timestamp
in the past. If it does, it removes the information from the hash. But, at
the moment, if I set another key on the hash, that information doesn't get
passed to the sub, and it never checks them. How do I get the new
information in the hash over to the sub so it can check for timeouts on the
new information?

Many thanks.

Dan