On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:40:25 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Angerstein) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>how can I check if my perl is thread enabled?
>
>I īm using 5.6.1.
>
>Which Modul to use and where to find?
>(if not cpan)
>
>use threads or use Thread? Which is which?
This is from perl5.8's perlthrtut:

(By the way, look at the module forks-0.02 for a drop
in replacement to enable threads in older perls)

NOTE: this tutorial describes the new Perl threading
       flavour introduced in Perl 5.6.0 called interpreter
       threads, or ithreads for short.  In this model each thread
       runs in its own Perl interpreter, and any data sharing
       between threads must be explicit.

       There is another older Perl threading flavour called the
       5.005 model, unsurprisingly for 5.005 versions of Perl.
       The old model is known to have problems, deprecated, and
       will probably be removed around release 5.10. You are
       strongly encouraged to migrate any existing 5.005 threads
       code to the new model as soon as possible.

       You can see which (or neither) threading flavour you have
       by running "perl -V" and looking at the "Platform" sec­
       tion.  If you have "useithreads=define" you have ithreads,
       if you have "use5005threads=define" you have 5.005
       threads.  If you have neither, you don't have any thread
       support built in.  If you have both, you are in trouble.

       The user-level interface to the 5.005 threads was via the
       Threads class, while ithreads uses the threads class. Note
       the change in case.